Fabric Softener is The #1 Cause of Indoor Air Pollution. Make Your Own With This DIY Recipe
Many of you surely didn’t know that fabric softeners are loaded with dangerous toxins which can enter our body via inhalation or the skin and cause various health issues, especially in young children.
These are some of the dangerous ingredients commonly found in liquid or sheet fabric softeners:
- A-Terpineol: It causes disorders of the Central Nervous System (CNS) disorders, issues with the brain and spine like dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, ADD, Parkinson’s disease, strokes, seizures, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. The early signs of CNS problems include dizziness, neck pain, memory loss, aphasia, pain in the spine, blurred vision, headaches, disorientation, hunger, numbness in face. It also causes irritations of the membranes and, if aspirated into the lungs, leads to pneumonia, respiratory depression, or fatal edema.
- Ethyl Acetate: this harmful ingredient is found on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It causes irritations of the respiratory tract and the eyes, leads to kidney and liver damage, and causes severe headaches and loss of consciousness.
- Benzyl Alcohol: It irritates the upper respiratory tract and causes central nervous system (CNS) disorders, dizziness, dramatic reduction of the blood pressure, nausea, headache, vomiting.
- Benzyl Acetate: it has been related to pancreatic cancer, while its vapors irritate the eyes and respiratory passages. Also, it can be absorbed through the skin.
- Ethanol: This substance is also found on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and causes CNS disorders.
- Pentane: If inhaled, this chemical causes severe adverse effects.
- Linalool: This narcotic leads to CNS disorders and respiratory problems, and in animal tests, its exposure has caused death.
- Limonene: It is a popular carcinogen which irritates the skin and eyes.
- Chloroform: back in the 1800s, and up through the early 1900s, this substance has been used as an anesthesia. Yet, it was then found that it can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmia. As a well-known carcinogenic neurotoxin, it is also found on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. If inhaled, it causes nausea, headaches, loss of consciousness, vomiting, and/or dizziness, drowsiness, and it can worsen the kidney, heart, and liver disorders. Moreover, its effects aggravate if exposed to heat.
- Camphor: It is also included in the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It causes irritations of the throat, nose, and eyes, as it is easily absorbed through the body tissue. It results in nausea, convulsions, dizziness, confusion, and twitching muscles.
- Phthalates: It is used to prolong the scent of products, but it has been related to reproductive system issues and breast cancer.
- Moreover, there is something else vegans should keep in mind: numerous fabric softener sheets are made using tallow, which is a form of animal fat.
Furthermore, manufacturers are aware of the toxic products they are using, and some of them include some warnings on the packages which advise the products to be kept away from children’s sleepwear, some contain images of children, toys, or small printed messages.
Yet, to be on the safe side, we strongly advise you to stop using the commercial alternative and make your own homemade fabric softeners. In this way, you will prevent the damage caused by dangerous chemicals.
The recipe we suggest contains vinegar, which is inexpensive and nontoxic, eliminates soap residue, and the static reduction. It has small amounts of sodium and potassium, which soften hard water. It is mixed with water. You can keep the softener in a suitable container and use it whenever needed.
Natural Homemade Fabric Softener
- 1 gallon white vinegar
- 30 drops of essential oil
You should mix the ingredients into a suitable container.
Before using it in the laundry, dilute the softener with water. You should combine 1/4 cup of vinegar mixture with 3/4 cups of water, pour the solution into the washer during the final rinse cycle and expect fantastic effects!
You will never buy a fabric softener again!