6 Symptoms of Pancreas Problems
The pancreas is an indispensable organ for the body. Knowing the symptoms of poor pancreas functioning could
The pancreas is situated behind the stomach and is in charge of producing enzymes, like insulin and glucagon, for example. They are necessary for digestion and arrive at the small intestine. From there they promote food synthesis. A change in this organ could produce fairly severe effects. These same enzymes can even turn against the pancreas and can end up attacking it. But let’s take a closer look.
How do I know if I have a problem with my pancreas?
Pain appears in the upper area of the abdomen and behind the stomach. Remember that this discomfort appears only on the left side of the body, under the ribs, and feels like burning.
- This pain could be more clear just after eating or even after drinking. It is even more pronounced if you have eaten foods high in fat.
- This pain could begin the day after a meal, it could last for several days and could even increase in intensity.
- The pain is more intense when you lay face up. The pancreas feels squeezed and the pain is more acute.
- The pain radiates from behind the back or behind the left shoulder blade.
The enzymes that attack the pancreas produce inflammation and consequently, having a fever is quite normal. When you feel pain or discomfort, do not forget to take your temperature. If your temperature is elevated by a few degrees, see your doctor. Your doctor is the only one who can rule out any problems and he/she can answer your questions. They symptoms can sometimes be associated with other conditions.
This could bring vomiting, or it may not. When your digested system is altered, foods are not digested very well and the pancreas becomes inflamed. Feeling discomfort is normal.
It’s normal to feel tired, irritable, difficulty in concentrating, and sudden headaches. This is all due to the fact that you immune system is being attacked and the effects produced are felt immediately.
- Weight loss
If you are not properly synthesizing foods, you will not obtain the proper nutrients because your pancreas is being destroyed by its own enzymes, or it could be blocked by gallbladder stones. It is normal for individuals that suffer from a pancreas-related illness begin to lose weight, in spite of continuing to eat as before.
Accelerated cardiac rhythm, you tire easily, and you breath more quickly. This is because your body could be growing weaker, your immune system no longer has sufficient energy, and this causes the heart to breath more quickly. You feel like you’re suffocating and you have an abnormal pulse. You should keep an eye on this.
What causes pancreatic illnesses?
Studies show that 80% of pancreatitis is due primarily to gallbladder stones and to poor health habits. Gallbladder stones, for example, block channels and prevent the pancreas from fulfilling its functions.
In regards to diet, consuming elevated amounts of fats and alcohol ends up causing irreparable damage to this organ, which is why you should keep this in mind. Other causes that could affect it are, for example, kidney failure, Lupus, cystic fibrosis, and consuming certain medications.
How can I take care of my pancreas?
- Limit your consumption of refined sugars and flour.
- If you smoke, drop this addiction. This is absolutely necessary in order to prevent pacreatic cancer.
- Avoid alcohol. According to nutritionists, consuming one cup of wine a day could be healthy, but if you exceed this dose continually, the effect on your pancreas is immediate. Avoid it for the good of your health.
- Consume foods that are high in fiber, especially whole grains.
- Avoid consuming red meat.
- Consume especially cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress and Brussels sprouts. These vegetables are perfect for taking care of your pancreas and for avoiding cancer.
- Avoid weight gain.
- Try to prevent diabetes.
- Protein consumption is indispensable for treating and preventing pancreatic illnesses. Try to always get your proteins from legumes and fish. If you eat meat, make sure it is turkey; it’s healthier and has less fat