Homemade Mozzarella Cheese
You’ll never go back to store-bought Mozzarella once you try this easy homemade 30 Minute RecipeThis is a pretty simple recipe. It requires no complicated equipment, it produces perfect, creamy results in 30 minutes.
I’ve been using this recipe for some time now. Though it comes out a little different every time I make, it is a big hit. You’ll never want to go back to store-bought mozzarella once you try this delicious and easy homemade version.
– 3/4 teaspoon citric acid*, dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water
– 1/4 rennet tablet*, dissolved in 1/8 cup of cold water
– 1/2 gallon whole milk.
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
– kitchen thermometer
– Pour milk into a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the citric acid/water mixture, and stir gently until milk reaches 90 F.
– Remove pot from heat; slowly stir in the rennet solution, using an up-and-down motion with your slotted spoon. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Then inspect the curd; it should resemble a custard if pressed gently with your finger.
– When you reach the point where your cheese curds have set into a soft, custard-like consistency, cut a cross-hatch pattern into the curds using a long, sharp knife.
– Then, cook your curds to 105 degrees before draining of the liquid whey.
– Once your cheese curds are cooked and drained, heat them until they can be stretched.
– Stretch the cheese and fold it back on itself. If it tears, add more heat and fold in salt. The more you fold the cheese the more string-like it becomes.Tear off pieces and roll into balls, serve warm with olive oil and sea salt.