Pistachios – 8 Healthy Reasons to Start Eating Them
Pistachios are one of the favorite types of nuts, usually eaten as tasty snacks during movie nights or paired with a glass of beer when hanging out with friends. Besides this, they can also enrich the taste of both sweet and salty dishes. We present you eight healthy reasons for which we love pistachios and which will make you love them as well:
- Healthy Heart: Recent researches have shown that a daily dose of pistachios can improve the work of the heart and prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases. It has also been found that regular consumption of pistachios has helped people with high blood pressure to control their blood pressure.
- Healthy Fats: Fats contained in nuts are generally considered healthy, but a portion of pistachios (around 50) contains just 160 calories, which makes them the lowest calorie snacks.
- Fibers: Pistachios contain even more dietary fibers than oatmeal, which is actually considered the best source of fibers.
- Carotenoids: Who needs carrots when there are pistachios? Pistachios contain a high amount of carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are closely related to a lower risk of macular degeneration, a condition that can lead to blindness as one grows old.
- Phytosterols: Pistachios are rich in the substances called phytosterols, which have the ability to absorb the cholesterol from other ingredients and perhaps this is the reason why they are being added to various sweets and high calorie meals. Pistachios – A great replacement for meat
- Proteins: Pistachios are very rich in vegetable proteins, so they are consumed by vegetarians and vegans instead of meat.
- Antioxidants: Pistachios contain phenolic compounds which are believed to match antioxidants present in individual foods. Antioxidants protect our organisms from oxidative stress that can lead to cancer and heart diseases.
- Nutrients: Pistachios are a great source of iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin B6. When we add all this up, they contain more than 30 vitamins and minerals.
If all the above listed benefits are not good enough reason for you to include these amazing nuts in your diet, then let their delicious taste, their suitability with both sweet and salty dishes and their inevitable presence during movie nights and dinners be your reasons to start consuming them.