Seven reasons to start your day with water and lemon
- Boosts your immune system – Lemon is a natural anti-bacterial which is why it is a popular ingredient in cleaning products. When you include it in your diet it has the same cleansing qualities and due to its high vitamin C content it helps build up your immune system and fight off colds and illness.
- Reduces appetite – Lemons contain pectin, a soluble fibre commonly found in citrus fruits. Pectin helps stave off hunger as the fibre creates a feeling of fullness, which results in the suppression of hunger cravings.
- Clears skin – Just like all other fruit, lemons are packed with vitamins and antioxidants. They’re a vitamin C powerhouse which is vital for renewing skin cells, repairing damage from everyday life such as the sun and free radicals and also clearing blemishes and age spots.
- Makes your body more alkaline – Illness occurs when the pH level is acidic so we want a body with a higher alkaline pH level.
- Cleanses the urinary tract – Lemon juice is a diuretic, meaning it encourages the production of urine. As a result, toxins are released at a faster rate, helping to purify the system and keep it healthy. Lemon juice can also change the pH level of the urinary tract which discourages the proliferation of bad bacteria.
- Aids digestion – If you’re on a detox or trying to lose weight the first place to start is with digestion, and ridding the body of excess waste. Warm water stimulates the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis—the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. Lemons are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen toxins in the digestive tract. Cold water chills the muscles and blood vessels in your gastrointestinal tract, and hot water burns the enzymes in the lemons, minimizing their positive effects. Warm water it relaxes the muscles, dilates the blood vessels and maintains the integrity of the nutrients in the lemon.
- Energizes and lifts your mood – As well as helping you feel rehydrated and more energetic in the morning, hot water and lemon is refreshing.
How to do it: You should be using purified water and it should be lukewarm not scalding hot. Always use fresh lemons, organic if possible, never bottled lemon juice. Take half a cup of lukewarm water and squeeze in there half of lemon. You need to drink water with lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Some recommend a drink of water one hour before meals for maximum results. Cheers.